Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from February, 2020

Industrial City - Jamshedpur

When Lord Chelmsford renamed the small village called Sakchi in 1919, little did he realise that he was creating an exemplary word-class city that even today sets the pace for sustainable urban development. Jamshedpur completes 100 years since its renaming and it continues to be recognised as the place where India's first steel plant was set up. The founder, Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata, dreamt of an industrialised and prosperous India. Five years before the site of the steel plant was finally located, he wrote to his son Dorab of what his dream city should look like. This is what he envisioned:

Be sure to lay wide streets planted with shady trees, every other of a quick-growing variety. Be sure that there is plenty of space for lawns and gardens. Reserve large areas for football, hockey and parks. Earmark areas for Hindu temples, Mohammedan mosques and Christian churches.
- Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata

Spread over 64 sq km, the city lies on the southern edge of Jharkhand in the Chhota…

The Rajputana Rifles

4th Battalion (Outram's) The Rajputana Rifles is one of the oldest infantry battalions of the Indian Army. The Battalion completes 200 years of its raising in 2020 which is a rare milestone for the reason that ever since its raising, the Battalion has never been disbanded or discontinued.

The Battalion was raised on 26'h May, 1820, from the brave men who fought the Battle of Kirkee in November, 1817, as the First Battalion of the 12th Regiment of the East India Company Native Army. In the reorganization in 1903, the Battalion donned the name of its most distinguished officer, Sir James Outram and was designated the 123rd Outram's Rifles. Post-independence, the Battalion was renamed the 4th Battalion (Outram's) The Rajputana Rifles.

Before independence, the Battalion fought in wars in Persia, Burma, Afghanistan, Palestine and parts of North Africa. It actively participated in both World Wars. The enviable award tally of the Battalion includes two Victoria Crosses, the …